Over the years I have found 4 keys to successful living. I was thinking about some of those tonight and decided to share a little about what I have learned, and am still in process of learning, in the hopes it will benefit some of you in your journey for success.
Before I share the 4 keys to success, I think it would be helpful to first define Success.
Success according to Merriam-Webster’s definition is this: “favorable or desired outcome; the attainment of wealth, favor, or eminence(a condition of being well-known and successful, a person of high rank and achievements, an area of high ground.)” It also profoundly defines success as “one that succeeds.”
The directions for success according to God are defined in Joshua 1:8. “This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe and do according to all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall deal wisely and have good success.”
So, here are the 4 keys I have learned that open the doors for successful living.
1. Success starts with knowing who I am and what I believe. If I believe I am a pauper, I will act like a pauper. If I believe I am royalty, I will act like royalty. Knowing I am loved by God, and that He has adopted me as His own child and heir is a good start to success in my life.
2. Success continues by choosing to meditate on truth. “This Book of the Law shall not depart out of your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night…” If I want to believe the right way, I have to meditate on the right stuff. Where better to find truth than the maker of Truth? The creator of the heavens and the earth? If I am meditating on truth, the lies I am believing that are standing in the way of my success will be revealed and I will be set free. John 8:32 says, “And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.”
3. Success happens by observation. “that you may observe…” Meditating on truth isn’t enough, we have to visualize it. This can happen by watching someone else being successful and learning the things they have done to get there. Rather than being jealous of other’s success, we can learn what they did to become successful. Another way to visualize/observe is by watching someone else’s failures and learning from them. Many headaches can be avoided by learning from other people’s mistakes. A third way to visualize/observe success is to dream. Disappointment in life often cuts off our dreams, thus cutting off our ability to be successful. Bill Johnson has said that what we dream becomes our reality. But we have to dream first. Thomas Edison didn’t make a light-bulb without first dreaming about the possibility. People aren’t researching and curing cancer without first dreaming that there is hope. We have to believe. We have to dream. And we have to learn from other’s successes and failures.
4. Success happens through action. This is perhaps the hardest step because it takes hard work, determination, and grit. This is the step where we find out what we are really made of. This is the place where the rubber meets the road, the dream meets destiny, and the poop hits the fan, so to speak.
- Joshua 1:8 says, “that you may observe…and DO according to all that is written in it.” Those two little words are powerful little words! AND DO. This is where a lot of people stop short and then wonder why they aren’t living successful, powerful, purpose filled lives.
- Proverbs 12:24 talks about this concept of hard work. “The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slothful will be put to forced labor.”
- James 2 talks about the foolishness of believing in something but not following the belief with action. “So also faith, if it does not have works (deeds and actions of obedience to back it up), by itself is destitute of power (inoperative, dead). But someone will say [to you then], You [say you] have faith, and I have [good] works. Now you show me your [alleged] faith apart from any [good] works [if you can], and I by [good] works [of obedience] will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. So do the demons believe and shudder [in terror and horror such as [a]make a man’s hair stand on end and contract the surface of his skin]! Are you willing to be shown [proof], you foolish (unproductive, spiritually deficient) fellow, that faith apart from [good] works is inactive and ineffective and worthless? James 2 ends with this strong conclusion about believing without action: “For as the human body apart from the spirit is lifeless, so faith apart from [its] works of obedience is also dead.”
In review, Success comes from these four steps:
My last blog is called Are You Bored With Life? and talks about the need for purpose. If we don’t have purpose we become bored. When we find purpose, we start on the road to success. Which led me to writing the Keys to Success. My next blog is going to share the secret I have discovered to finishing well, and I am so excited to share it!
I hope you have been blessed and that these 4 Keys to Success I have discovered have given you hope and help on the way to your own successful living! And remember, although there are many things out there that may look like success, Jesus Christ is the only way through which we can experience and have true success! He is our Identity, He is the Truth, He is the Giver of Vision, and He is our Strength and Motivation to move forward into action and have a successful life.
“Locksmith Standing Front View with Key” by Vectorolie
“Keys on a White Background” by Serge Bertasius Photography
“Key to Success” by http://trueresultsnlp.com
Leave a Reply